Hü Yong Mi - The Way of Faith

Hü Yong Mi (Hṳ̄ Iòng-mī, 许扬美) was one of the seven native Methodist ministers (七金灯台), and one of the most remarkable Chinese Christians in the missionary history. His life, about childhood, about youthful days, about mental struggles, about Christian faith, about persecutions, and about his last few years, has been recorded in this biography "The Way of Truth". Hü Yong Mi was born in 1837 at Iòng-tàu (洋头), Foochow, and died peacefully at his house in 1893. His life was a short one, but so fruitful...

Hü_Yong_Mi.pdf (3.93 MB)(右键另存为,手动重命名)

Three C's define me: Chinese by birth; Canadian by choice; Christian by grace.
Some Foochow proverbs found in this book.

1_oh_tu_sang_nieng_po.JPG (14.15 KB)

1_oh_tu_sang_nieng_po.JPG

2_ning_ko_ching_ki.JPG (12.86 KB)

2_ning_ko_ching_ki.JPG

When Hü Yong Mi saw the Christian books (printed in Bàng-uâ-cê) for the first time, he was "disappointed and angry", and tore them into pieces.

3.JPG (38.62 KB)

3.JPG

4.JPG (52.53 KB)

4.JPG

In his biography Hü Yong Mi frequently spoke of his beloved daughter King Eng, who was born in 1865. I think King Eng is 金訇. Does anyone know how to read 訇 in Foochow?

http://www.lifeall.com/mem/1318/main.ahtml
http://www.86591.com.cn/Culture/html/2006-6-13/2006613172435.html

5.JPG (70.01 KB)

5.JPG

6.JPG (73.59 KB)

6.JPG

7.JPG (8.88 KB)

7.JPG

Good! My only knowledge about Hü Yong Mi is that he became the tutor of Wong Nai-siong on christianity and western culture in 1867. If you have enough information, you can contribute to wikipedia, whether in Mandarin or Foochowese or English.
Ĭng cĭng-lī, dáik cê̤ṳ-iù
因眞理,得自由
原帖由 lumiere 於 2008-10-13 23:29 發表
Good! My only knowledge about Hü Yong Mi is that he became the tutor of Wong Nai-siong on christianity and western culture in 1867. If you have enough information, you can contribute to wikipedia, wh ...
Yup, this is exactly what I planned. You see I've already added the Hü Yong Mi entry into my to-do list.

Last week a Malaysian-Foochow friend asked me how to learn to read Bàng-uâ-cê, and I've been working on this page recently. I will set about writing Hü Yong Mi as soon as I finished that short course.
原帖由 GnuDoyng 於 2008-10-13 23:44 發表

Yup, this is exactly what I planned. You see I've already added the Hü Yong Mi entry into my to-do list.

Last week a Malaysian-Foochow friend asked me how to learn to read Bàng-uâ-cê, and I've  ...
I've downloaded the book and will read it when I have leisure time, and see if I can also contribute a little.
I'll be more than happy if you introduce the Foochow Malaysian to our forum (Of course, after we settle the recent arguments), we haven't seen overseas ethnic Foochowese guys in our forum for a long time : )
因眞理,得自由

回復 #7 lumiere 的帖子

I already invited him. But he is a Chinese illiterate, and only speaks English and Foochow.
原帖由 GnuDoyng 於 2008-10-14 00:01 發表
I already invited him. But he is a Chinese illiterate, and only speaks English and Foochow.
Wow, cool! Is he an exception or many Foochowese Malaysians are like this?

So he can't write or read Chinese character? Now I find a reason that English Garden should exist. You can introduce him here, I think many of our ppl can discuss with him in English.
因眞理,得自由

回復 #9 lumiere 的帖子

He can speak some Mandarin but can't read or write characters. Dunno whether he's an exception or not. I'll try to persuade him again tomorrow.