Before the 1980s, we called it "pún-tuē-uē" (本地話) exclusively and uniformly,
and we did not have such words as "闽", "闽南", "闽南语" in the vocabulary.
Today, we still call it  "本地話" most of the time,
and few people know how to pronounce "闽" in "本地話".
原帖由 GnuDoyng 於 2007-11-27 11:50 發表
另外有點,就是杜嘉德沒有在字典裏提到“閩南語”這個名稱。是不是這個名稱真的是後來起的?
我認為是後起的名詞 不會錯的!
YEAH!
杜嘉德的字典所描寫的包括廈漳泉同安等漳泉話,他當年的確沒有在他的字典裡提到“閩南語”這個名詞,不過其字典卻是以“Amoy”(廈門)來對應“閩南話”這種語言,所以明顯他是用“廈門話”這個名稱來表徵南中國的這種漢語言。

同時代在南洋出版的一些關於閩南話的字典或對照典,以“Hokkien”來表徵漳泉話……很明顯他們那裡是以“福建話”來稱呼閩南話。

在台灣,連橫寫的《台灣語典》,以及稍後的日本人小川尚義(OGAWA Naoyoshi,1869-1947 )寫的台日大辭典,日台典等等,都表明當時台灣民間可能已經將這種語言稱為台灣話、台語。不過,在台灣的洋人甘为霖( William Campbell ) 牧師卻堅持他的前輩的觀點,其所寫的字典還叫做《廈門音新字典》,說明當時台灣基督教的牧師們將這種語言仍然稱為廈門話,同時,也透露了這些洋教士們堅持奉廈門話為標準的立場,并且刻意教導人們這種語言來自福建。
鹭水芗南-闽南语部落(http://hokkienese.com/)  ·
甘願做牛,毋驚無犁通拖
早期的傳教士推崇廈門音,我覺得可能是以下幾個原因,一來早期廈門的傳教歷史悠久;二來,臺灣的腔調還處在初期的泉漳分別,各個地區的腔調還沒很好的整合,以廈門音這種折衷的代表音也是一種不錯的選擇。
原帖由 Hooimuhtan 於 2008-8-14 15:27 發表
海豐不是講“福佬”。。而是“學老”。

漳南那邊是說“ho5 lo2”。。本字應為“河佬”。。。
台灣本省稱呼的多的去

有:福佬 河洛 閩南 台灣話等多種稱呼

"閩南話"名稱很晚我是相信 看看南洋的閩南華僑他們自稱是講福建話不是閩南話
YEAH!
Earlier today I read the preface of A syllabic dictionary of the Chinese language; arranged according to the Wu-Fang Yuen Yin, with the pronunciation of the characters as heard in Peking, Canton, Amoy, and Shanghai (1874) and found that on page ix it says the following:
The misuse of words in passing from one dialect to another can be illustrated by the name given to the people of Swatow, This was hok-ló,  福佬 i.e. people from Fuhkien; but when the Cantonese heard hok-ló, they wrote it as they heard the sound, 學佬 being now the name given to the people of that prefecture, and the Cantonese of the present day puzzle themselves to know why it was applied to them. No Chinese scholar has examined these dialectical changes, which are an ample source of many colloquialisms in every dialect.
This is the earlier reference I can find now and it should shed some light on the dispute.

Tim
Lô Chín-Khun
在惠州的閩南後代也是稱為閩南話或是學佬話
YEAH!

回復 #57 timluo 的帖子

Hey Tim, where can I access this A syllabic dictionary of the Chinese language; arranged according to the Wu-Fang Yuen Yin? And is there any Swatow dialects included inside? Thanks!
Tshṳ̂-pui Avalokiteśvara Phŏ-sat pó-hō tshuân-ke-nâng jît-jît phêng-an!
蹉跎莫遣韶光老 人生唯有讀書好 學須靜也  才須學也

--------------------------------------------
潮州话八调代表字:
1胎tho 2讨thó 3退thò 4托thoh
5逃tô 6在tŏ 7袋tō 8夺tôh
潮罗特殊变体:[ɯ]=ṳ=ur;[ã]=aⁿ=an;
[aʔ8]=âh=a̍h;[ts]=ts=ch;[tsʰ]=tsh=chh
It's available at http://www.archive.org/details/syllabicdictiona00willrich.

It does include some Swatow examples.

Tim
Lô Chín-Khun

回復 #4 輶轩使者 的帖子

輶轩使者兄,我住在汕头近20年,都不曾我们潮汕人把自己称“福佬”,我是到了大学才听到这种说法的。
而且我周围(大学里)的潮汕人(有很多潮阳、澄海、府城的)都不会这样子叫自己。
但是汕尾那边的,却是如此……